Penang Malaysia is a state located on the northwest coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The state is divided into two parts by the Straits of Malacca (see map). It is one of the first British settlement in Peninsular Malaysia.
This island’s name is taken from the name of the tree nut (Areca catechu). It is also called Tanjung Bidara previously called Penang.
Penang Malaysia Geografi
Penang is one of the 13 states in Malaysia. Located near the northwestern coast of Peninsular Malaysia. Split between the state of Kedah in the North and East, the State of Perak in the South and Straits of Malacca and Sumatra (Indonesia) in the west. Penang consists of the island and the mainland known as Province Wellesley. Area of 285 km2 of the island is completely separate from the mainland. The two parts connected by a ferry service and the Penang Bridge, 13.5 km in length. Penang has a population of 1.6 million people (estimate based on random).
Penang Malaysia History
Penang Malaysia history began in 1786, when Captain Francis Light made an agreement with the Sultan of Kedah. He obtained on behalf of Penang from the Sultan of the East India Company and in return, the company is committed to providing security protection to Kedah from powerful neighbors.
Until 1800, Light had also secured land opposite the island. The area was named Province Wellesley (as the name of the Governor of India) which is now called the Province.
Light named the island Prince of Wales Island since the date of acquisition coincided with the date of birth of the Prince. He had landed in what is now called Esplanade. At that time, it is a swamp area that many mosquitoes.
To clean the place he has filled his ship with a silver gun and fired toward the swamp forest to stimulate the work of clearing the bushes by the employees more quickly.
A town was created and named George Town, named after the Prince of Wales. Border area is the streets Light Street, Chulia Street, Pitt Street (Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling) and Bishop Street.
To encourage settlers, the port has been granted duty-free status of new immigrants allowed to claim as much as any land that they can explain. From an uninhabited island, the population increasing to 10,000 people at the end of the century.
Penang to trade places for tea, spices (clove and nutmeg darip local farm), china, black pepper from Aceh and textiles from India. Later, expanding regional trade in tin and rubber.
It’s a great crossroads of civilizations, a clash of eastern place. Traders and settlers came from Europe, India, China, Malay Islands, Thailand and the Burmese.
British port, free and independent is more favored in comparison with Dutch trade stops with strict regulations and taxes.
European people living in Light Street, the Eurasians from Kedah and Phuket living in Bishop Street and Church Street (Church Street). Chinese traders from Kedah and Malacca Straits that came here in search of new opportunities have been concentrated in China Street and Chulia pedangan lived in India Street.
In the early 1800s, George Town has grown with the addition of two road again – Armenian Street inhabited by the Armenians and Acheen Street, residence of those Aceh, Sumatra and the Malay.
In 1832 it became part of the Straits of Malacca and Singapore.
In addition to the interest of trade and where the opportunities, Penang is also free and safe place to many people – the Malays last of Siamese attacks in Kedah, the Eurasians fleeing from religious persecution in South Thailand, the Chinese Manchu to the oppressed and the South India leaving home for the poor and conflict.
Penang Malaysia was under British colonial rule until 1957 when it gained independence under the Federation of Malaya. It was briefly occupied by Japan from 1941 to 1945. In 1963 it became part of Malaysia when Sabah and Sarawak into the group.