Penang Malaysia history started in 1786, when Captain Francis Light struck a bargain with the Sultan of Kedah. He got Pulau Pinang (Penang Island) from the Sultan on behalf of the East India Company, which is return promised Kedah security against its powerful next-door neighbors.
By 1800, Francis Light had actually also handled to work out for a strip of land next to the island. The place was called Province Wellesley (after the Governor of India) and is now today Seberang Perai.
Light named the island Prince of Wales Island since the acquisition date fell on the royal prince’s birthday. To clear the location, he loaded the ship’s cannons with silver dollars and fired them into the jungle to encourage faster clearing of the thick undergrowth by the labourers.
A town was established and called Georgetown, after the Prince of Wales. The grid of this settlement was bordered by Light Street, Chulia Street, Pitt Street (Jalan Masjid Kapitan Keling) and Bishop Street.
To urge settlers, the port was accorded a duty-free condition and new arrivals were permitted to declare as much land as they can clear. From practically an uninhabited island, the population expanded to 10,000 by the end of the century.
Penang became a trading post for tea, spices (clove and nutmeg from neighborhood ranches), china, pepper from Acheh and textiles from India. In the future, the regional trade expanded to consist of tin, then rubber.
It became the crossroads of excellent civilizations, a melting pot of the eastern. Traders and inhabitants originated from the Europe, India, China, the Malay Archipelago, Thailand and Burma.
The complimentary and neutral British port was favored over Dutch trading posts because of the heavy stipulations and taxes.
The Europeans settled at Light Street, the Eurasians from Kedah and Phuket stayed at Bishop Street and Church Street (Lebuh Gereja). The Straits Chinese traders from Kedah and Melaka who came here to look for new chances converged at China Street while the Indian traders settled at Chulia Street.
By early 1800s, Georgetown had grown to include two even more streets– Armenian Street inhabited by the Armenians and Acheen Street, house to the Achehnese, other Sumatrans and Malays.
In 1832, Penang formed part of the Straits Settlement with Melaka and Singapore.
Being an industrial interest and land of opportunities, Penang was likewise a liberal sanctuary to the numerous communities– the Malays escaping Siamese attacks in Kedah, the Eurasians fleeing spiritual persecution in South Thailand, the Manchu-oppressed-Chinese and the South Indians who left a homeland of poverty and strife.
Penang stayed under the British Colonial rule till 1957, when it gained independence under the Federation of Malaya. It was quickly occupied by the Japanese from 1941 to 1945. In 1963, it entered into Malaysia when Sabah and Sarawak entered the group.
The Coming of the British
Throughout the 18th century, the British were extremely eager to develop a naval harbor along the lucrative spice and opium route.
Captain Francis Light
On 11th August 1876, Captain Francis Light of the East India Company, acquired the the Island of Penang from Sultan Abdullah, the leader of Kedah, with the contract that they were called for to give the sultanate security from Siamese and Burmese forces.
However, Light had actually acted without the consent of the East India Company when he guaranteed military defense. Hence, the British never honored the agrement.
When the Sultan tried to restore the isle, he was defeated, and needed to ceed part of the landmass on the peninsula, to the British. That piece of land on the peninsula was called Province Wellesley, after the Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley.
Payment of Honorarium Till This Day
An accord was sighed by the Sultan and the British in 1781. A payment of 6,000 Spanish dollars each annum was paid to the Sultan.
Fort Cornwallis, called after the Lt. General Marquis de Cornwallis, was created at the landing site of Francis Light to protect the isle from strike.
Francis Light named the island Prince of Wales Island, in honor of Prince George, the successor of Great Britain. The Union Jack was increased and it represented the begining of British regulation in what later came to be referred to as Malaya.
The Prostestant Cemetary
Light offered as the very first Superintendent of the Prince of Wales Island until his fatality at the age of 54. He was buried at the Protestant cemetery at Northam Road (now renamed Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah).
The very early inhabitants were affected by malaria, earning it the credibility “the White Man’s Grave”.
Straits Settlement of Penang, Melaka and Singapore
It was the funds of the Straits Settlement which made up of Penang, Melaka and Singapore.
The economic situation thrived during the 19th. century under the effective British Empire. It was linked to many essential harbors and came to be one of the most vital and busiest port of phone call in the area.
It became the center of export for rubber, container and many various other commodities. It witnessed incredible development and progress.
Georgetown Becomes a City
In 1957 Georgetown became the first city in Malaysia to attain a city condition.
It was an obligation free of cost isle till 1969.
It later on came to be the largest electronic devices supplier in Asia.
Georgetown a UNESCO World Heritage Site
On 7 July 2008, George Town was officially recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Being acknowledged as having an one-of-a-kind architectural and cultural townscape without parallel anywhere in world.